· To keep cauliflower white while cooking - add a little milk to the water - it tastes better too!
· Let raw potatoes stand in cold water for at least half an hour before frying to improve the crispness of your chips.
· Mushrooms are truly fresh when the stems and caps are attached snugly.
· A dampened paper towel or terry cloth brushed downward on a cob of corn will remove every strand of corn silk.
· To keep potatoes from budding in store, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.
· Instead of the water your recipe calls for, try juices, bouillon, or water you've cooked vegetables in.
· To make lighter and fluffier mashed potatoes, add a pinch or two of baking powder to the potatoes before whipping.
· Add a small amount of lemon juice to the artichoke cooking water to retain the colour of the artichoke.