oven at 475° for 10 mins, reducing to 425° for 10 mins, then 400° until cooked.
2 lb Plain Flour (brown or white)
1 ½ dsp Honey
1 ½ oz Yeast
1 pint Warm Water
1 tsp Salt
1 oz Butter or Margarine
· Set flour to warm thoroughly in a bowl.
· To prepare yeast: Take a warm bowl, cream together honey and yeast. Add a little of the warm water, cover and set aside in warm place. This should become light and foamy in 10-15 mins.
· Combine salt and fat with the flour.
· Make a well in the centre and add the rest of the water to the yeast mixture, working this well into the flour.
· Place dough in warm bowl, cover with a warm tea towel and put in a warm place. The dough will rise to twice its size.
· Knead it thoroughly until all stickiness disappears. It is essential to carry out this operation quickly and lightly.
· Then divide the dough and place into two loaf tins - return to the warm place to double in size.
· Put in oven at 475° for 10 mins, reducing to 425° for 10 mins, then 400° until cooked.