Pancakes don't always have to be sweet. This savoury pancake recipe goes really well with a tomato salad. You can make the plain pancakes beforehand and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
For the basic pancakes (makes about 12 pancakes)
- 230g plain flour
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 340ml milk
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
For the cheesy pancakes
12 pancakes (as above)
- Butter, for greasing
- 3 leeks, trimmed
- 250g young spinach leaves
- 180g (6 slices) finely sliced honey roast ham, trimmed of fat and halved
- 200g Vacherin Mont d’Or
- 30g Beaufort, Comté or Gruyère cheese, finely grated
For the basic pancakes
- 1. Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour the eggs, milk and 100ml water into the well. Using a wooden spoon, gradually beat until smooth. Strain through a sieve into a jug and stir in the oil. Rest for 30 minutes.
- 2. Place a 18cm non-stick frying pan or crepe pan over a medium-low heat. Rub with a little oil and when hot, pour in a little batter and rotate the pan so that it is evenly coated in a thin layer. When it begins to set, loosen the pancake with a palette knife and flip over. Cook for 30 seconds more, then slip onto a plate and cover with a cloth.
- 3. Repeat to make about 12 pancakes. At this stage, you can freeze the pancakes. To do this, layer them between sheets of baking paper, wrap well in cling film, then foil and freeze for up to 3 months. Use the basic pancakes either freshly made or defrosted to make the cheesy pancakes (below).
For the cheesy pancakes
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200°c/fan180°c/gas 6. Liberally butter 1 or 2 shallow baking dishes.
- 2. Cut the leeks in half lengthways. Remove the outer leaves and wash thoroughly. Bring a large pan of salted water up to the boil. Add the leeks and cook for 3 minutes or until just cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon and cool under cold running water. Squeeze dry on kitchen paper. Cut each leek into 4.
- 3. Add the spinach to the boiling water. As soon as it has collapsed, drain and cool under cold running water. Squeeze dry and gently unfurl.
- 4. Take the first pancake and place half a ham slice in the middle. Add 2 pieces of leek and a little of the spinach. Finally, add a lump of the Vacherin Mont d’or (you can use the rind). Neatly roll it up and place in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining pancakes. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and bake for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbling.