1 lb plain flour
½ level tsp salt
1 oz lard
½ oz fresh yeast (or 1 level dsp dried yeast and 1 level tsp caster sugar)
½ pint tepid milk
2 tbsp honey
4 oz currants
· Sift the flour and salt.
· Rub in the lard.
· Cream the fresh yeast with a little tepid milk then stir in the rest of the milk. Or if you are using dried yeast, mix with sugar and sprinkle on top of tepid milk.
· Leave for 15 mins.
· Make a well in the centre of the flour and stir in yeast liquid and honey to make a soft dough.
· Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead for 10 mins.
· Lightly oil the inside of a large polythene bag.
· Put the dough in the bag and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.
· Knead currants into the dough.
· Put dough into greased and floured loaf tin.
· Bake in centre of preheated oven at 450° until it sounds hollow.